More than a week after serial blasts rocked Assam, investigators have found clues that the United Liberation Front of Assom and the NDFB carried out the deadly explosions with the help of Bangladesh-based HuJI's expertise.Home Ministry sources said the investigators have found enough evidence that the banned ULFA had carried out the October 30 serial blasts with the help of dominant Bodo militant group NDFB.
She contested the Baruahola Panchayat body in Tinsukia's Chabua as a candidate of the Opposition Asom Gana Parishad and defeated her nearest Congress rival Manjula Barua with a big margin. The particular panchayat had been under Congress clutch for a long time.
Acting on a tip off, the Gorkha regiment raided the Mechaki reserve forest area at Hankhati where the militants, including hardcore ULFA ultra Joond Bhuyan, were sheltered. When the militants opened fire at the approaching militants, the securitymen retaliated and heavy exchange of fire continued for nearly an hour. In the shootout, Captain S Choudhury sustained grievous injuries and was airlifted to the Air Force hospital at Roroiya, where he was declared dead.
The seriously injured Congress leader was rushed to Guwahati Medical College Hospital where he was declared dead.
A security source said it was part of ULFA's strategy to mount pressure on the Army, which has put ULFA strongholds in Tinsukia district and areas adjoining the Arunachal Pradesh border under strict surveillance.
Bijoy Shankar Hazarika, a surrendered militant of the United Liberation Front of Asom, was seriously injured and his wife Anita Barman was killed when unidentified gunmen fired at them in Ghograpar at Assam's Nalbari district on Sunday afternoon. The police suspect that personal rivalry may be the motive behind the attack on the surrendered militant. They are trying to ascertain the identity of the assailants.
Jagat had joined the militant organisation in 1999 and was involved in several extremist operations in Upper Assam, besides receiving training as a paramedic.
Police sources said that the militant's target, Sub-Divisional Police Officer Jayanta Sarothi Bora, escaped unhurt as the blast narrowly missed him. The bomb was planted on the road by suspected ULFA militants.
Three hundred and five members of the United Liberation Front of Barak Valley led by its president Pancharam Apeto gave up arms before Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi in Guwahati on Monday.
The boycott is being lifted following appeals by eminent sports persons and sports lovers of Assam, Rajkhowa said in a statement that was e-mailed to the media.
The CBI team surveyed the two rooms in the house where the two ULFA militants had taken refuge along with their hostage. The CBI team also collected documents related to the case from the state CID office in Guwahati and spoke with investigating officers.
Police informed that two businessmen identified as Pradip Kumar Paswan and Sambhu Choudhury, and Constable of 2nd Assam Police Battalion Prabin Tejiwal were travelling in a truck from Tangna Bazar to Doom Dooma when they came under fire from ULFA.
The slain person, who was shot dead at his residence, was a former member of the banned outfit and was working closely with security forces engaged in counter-insurgency operations.
The banned militant group on Saturday reacted very sharply to Asom Sahitya Sabha president Kanaksen Deka's criticism of its demand for sovereignty.
Earlier in the day, suspected ULFA militants detonated a blast under an Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited pipeline carrying crude oil at Lakwa in Sivasagar district of Upper Assam.
The minister said for eligible persons belonging to the violence-hit families seeking self-employment, the government would facilitate loans through banks.
A meeting of Opposition parties, organised by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, will be held in Patna on June 23, his deputy Tejashwi Yadav said on Wednesday.
The CPI(ML) took out a protest march in Patna on Sunday. After the march the party demanded action against ULFA.
In the backdrop of stepped up violence in Assam by United Liberation Front of Asom militants, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday met President A P J Abdul Kalam.
The governor's move has been welcomed by a large segment of the Indian-American community who were opposing the bill.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday asked the banned United Liberation Front of Assom to come forward to find a solution to the insurgency problem plaguing the state. Gogoi said the banned outfit had lost the opportunity to initiate a political dialogue last year when the government had declared a unilateral ceasefire during August-September. "Still, we are keeping our doors open for talks with the ULFA provided it wants a political solution," he said.
The United Liberation Front of Asom on Monday accused the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah) of killing its two cadres and abducting seven, a charge denied by the Naga group.
For the banned ULFA, it is the people from the 'Indian sub-continent' who are illegal migrants in Assam and not the 'trespassers' from neighbouring Bangladesh and Nepal.
The Army on Monday gunned down two members of the banned United Liberation Front of Assom in an encounter inside the Ranglu Forest area in Arunachal Pradesh. Troops of the 11 Sikh Light Regiment gunned down senior ULFA cadres Nitul Sonowal and Muleswar Sonowal after a fierce gun battle, said sources. In a separate incident, 11 people were injured in a bomb blast at a fair in Dhansirimukh in Udalguri district of north Assam on Monday afternoon.
Addressing a joint press conference after a meeting of 26 opposition parties in Bengaluru, Kharge said, "This was a very important meeting to save democracy and the Constitution in the interest of the people of the country."
The proscribed United Liberation Front of Assam, which is now reeling under sustained and intensified counter-insurgency operation by the Army -- especially in Eastern Assam areas and the two hill districts of the state -- has alleged that the government of India was interested in crushing the 'ULFA revolution' by using force and not at all interested in a political solution to "Assam-India" conflict.
The army chief said Pakistan's intelligence agency ISI was active in the region. He said ISI may be involved in the recent bomb blasts in Guwahati and other places of Assam.
The Asom Gana Parishad, the state's main Opposition party, has raised a demand to initiate immediate peace talks with the banned United Liberation Front of Asom. Political observers, however, view the renewed call by the AGP for peace talks as an attempt to placate ULFA before the forthcoming panchayat election in Assam.
ULFA marks November 28 as protest day.
The banned militant outfit called upon sportspersons to stay away from the National Games to be held in Guwahati in February next year.
"We have plugged all routes, making it difficult for the ULFA to bring in weapons and cadres from their bases in neighbouring countries," said Lt Gen B S Jaswal. ULFA militants were facing a shortage of food and medicines in their jungle camps.
According to reports, Prabal Neog, commander of ULFA's 28th Battalion and the mastermind behind the massacre of Hindi speaking people in Assam, had named three Arunachal ministers after his arrest in Tezpur on September 17.
The arrested militants -- armed with rocket launchers, grenades and pistols -- were hiding in the residence of a villager after killing one Ratan Deka, who they believed was a police informer.
The influential All Assam Students Union on Wednesday said that the peace initiative launched by the pro-talks leaders of the ULFA'a 28 th battalion raised hopes for a solution, provided the top brass of the United Liberation Front of Asom and the Indian government respond to it by holding a direct and unconditional political dialogue to solve the insurgency issue.
Police sources said that over 3000 people gathered at the community hall in Kakopathar to hear the pro-talks ULFA leaders Mrinal Hazarika, Jiten Dutta and Joon Sonowal who have been on a mission to mobilise public opinion in favour of unconditional peace talks between the ULFA leadership and the Indian government to restore peace in Assam.
Sensing the frustration gripping a section of members of People's Consultative Group (PCG) over the stalled peace process between the banned United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) and the Centre, ULFA chairman Arabina Rajkhowa said that the outfit wouldn't object to any of the PCG members leaving the group according to their wish.
They appear to have divergent views on the outfit's demand for 'sovereignty', with some of them softening their stand on the 27-year-old 'core demand'.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday called upon the fugitive commander in chief of the United Liberation Front of Asom Paresh Baruah to come out of the clutches of the Pakistani Inter Services Intelligence and other forces inimical to India and hold talks with the government of India instead of engineering killings of innocent people in Assam.